An eventful few days, largely dealing with wear and tear maintenance issues.
X End Idler Split
It seems that whilst using lubricant on the Z axis rods was a reasonable idea it soaked into the X End Idler and caused weakness between layers (I believe). This in turn resulted in a slight split and the head of the hot end ploughing through the last few layers of a print.
Attempting to realign the print (of a gear) seemed to work fine, but closer inspection shows it was pretty skewed and is not usable as it stands.
Luckily the split didn't grow, or affect subsequent prints, so I could print out it's replacement.
Perfecting the Pulley
So my circles were coming out oval and I still hadn't printed the perfect pulley. Suspecting that a replacement pulley with a dent in the teeth was the cause of the oval problem I brought the original out of retirement with a quick hack. This allowed me to print a few pulleys, and this time I achieved pulley nirvana. The secret? Cool in Skeinforge. It seems obvious now, but my previous attempts to utilise the cool module didn't work because I was using "orbit". Changing this to "slow down" meant that the spurs and teeth were laid down much slower, and hence with much less deformities!
Loose X Belt
Having more faith in the X pulley I was expecting perfect(ish) circles, but no joy. A bit more observation made me realise that the X belt was wobbling quite a bit at the apex of each turn. I had thought the belt was tight enough, but it seems it was not - and tightening it so it "twangs" when tapped results in much better circles.
I find your site very helpful. Special thanks for visual instructions on Wade's extruder. I am building Prusa too but having problems with electronics. Btw how much did all of the electronic parts cost you?
Hi, I'm glad that the guides are helpful! Thanks for letting me know.
For the electronics I bought a Ramps v1.2 kit together with a Arduino mega 2560 from reprapsource. This came to €94 including shipping and tax. Then I got the Pololu stepper motor drivers from grrf.de which cost €40. The 5 stepper motors were ~€55 from Zapp Automation. So all in all these parts cost about €200 - perhaps a bit more including delivery.
Hope that helps.
Printing reprap pulleys : brelovich
[...] pulleys would come out with one tooth missing or severely malformed. That is until I read about the Cool settings in Skeinforge. It turns out, if you activate cool, set a minimum time of 30 seconds or so per layer [...]
Your troubleshooting was very helpful!
I managed to solve my problem after reading your article.
Because of my loose y-axis belt, my circle was really ugly.
But after reading this, circle comes out really pretty!! :) thanks!!!